- This event has passed.
Is there a Better Way for Professionals and Providers
May 5 @ 8:00 am - September 8 @ 5:00 pm
New course commencing May 5th 2023!
Is There a Better Way for professionals and disability providers delves into a deeper understanding about why people may show us that they are stressed distressed or dysregulated. Informed by contemporary human rights, relationship, regulation and neurobiological lens’ we take people on a journey to unpack our understanding of people’s experiences and what is important to meet people’s needs and implementation of supports. We finish our discussion by briefly looking at how to partner with families and individuals, recognising that good quality support looks at the wellbeing of all people including the person and their support network and the importance of co-design.
Developed by the Microboard’s team including Debbie Lobb, developer and lecturer of the Post Graduate Certificate Unit at Edith Cowan University – Behaviour support for people with complex needs and Jaquie Mills, sector leader in individualised, rights based disability support, this course brings contemporary lens to the concept of Positive Behaviour Support. It brings together information from both our successful support for people and families through our Is There a Better Way program for families and core concepts also discussed in the Edith Cowan University Post Graduate Certificate.
Throughout this course we talk about and plan for support from a person centred, neurodiverse affirming and wellbeing approach, allowing professionals and providers to establish a cultural lens of embedding support in everyday practice to meet people’s needs and therefore increase the wellbeing of the people we support and a reduction in behaviour that can concern others.
It provides the platform for our lens and understanding about people and the meaning behind behaviour to inform our everyday practice, team reflection and the support we provide to others.
The course includes:
- 17 weeks of weekly continuous learning (approx. 2 hours per week), both live and online webinars. Live sessions will be accessible to view later at people’s own pace if you cannot make the session.
- Each live session will include facilitated discussion and coaching around course content and real life application.
- A members course area where all course content is accessible to view and review for 12 months.
- Dedicated sessions to engage in reflective practice where we explore our understanding of the people you support and therefore support needs.
- Workbooks, templates and tools to use in your ongoing work with individuals, families and support networks.
- Enrolled participants have the option of booking in personal coaching sessions.
- This equates to approx 50 hours of learning and course content!
You can find out more and register your interest here for the next round of this course.
Before you go, some things recent therapists, practitioners and practice leaders said about the course.
“This course provided so much to me! The knowledge and resources shared were outstanding, I had so many light bulb moments 😊💡 I also really appreciated the personal experiences shared from a parent point of view. I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed a course more than this one!”.
“It’s simply incredible with so much to think about each week in relation to our support for others. I will need to review this over and over again to continue to learn from it.”
“I’ve learned so much about myself along this journey and how to be ‘human informed’ not just thinking about behaviour. It’s been amazing.”